Outside of California Coverage

Covering Dependents Outside of California 

When a dependent goes to college, has a new job, or when you work remotely outside of California, it is time to change your medical plan. Because Kaiser of California and UC Blue & Gold HMO medical plans only offer coverage within the state, this page is to help you understand which benefit plans provide the coverage you or your loved ones need when you move out of state.

UC offers three medical plans but only one dental and one vision plan that offers coverage outside California.

You can find information about PostDoc benefits below as well. 

Medical Plans Available Outside of HMO Geographic Coverage

 Anthem Blue Cross administrates the three medical plans. Delta Dental administers the dental plan and VSP administers the vision plan.  It is essential to check the plan providers' list.  

When living or traveling outside of the United States, all medical claims are handled through Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core program

UC PPO Plans Prescription Drugs

See the 2024 Formulary for more details about your Navitus prescription drug coverage. 

Navitus customer service number: (833) 837-4308 

Get Help

If you want help finding a provider or have questions, call Anthem Health Guide toll-free at (844) 437-0486, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Pacific).

UC PPO Plans monthly premiums

The Delta Dental PPO plan, available worldwide, provides you and your family with the flexibility to choose any licensed dentist or specialist. Your share of the cost of services depends on whether you use a dentist in Delta Dental’s PPO network or an out-of-network dentist. 

The allowances and copays below apply to providers within the VSP network. Check out vsp.com to find your VSP network doctor. If you choose to see an out-of-network provider, you’ll likely pay higher out-of-pocket costs and you’ll need to submit a claim. 

Making the change 

You have 31 days from the date you or your dependent moved outside of the coverage area to make the medical plan change. The new medical plan's coverage starts the date that you or your dependent left the HMO plan's service area.

For Dependents

Please complete and submit a Benefit Eform on the UCPath Portal

There is no need to provide your dependent's new address. 

For Employees

Employees must change their home address on UCPath Portal before submitting Benefit Eform. Log into your UCPath account to update your home address

Please complete and submit a Benefit Eform 

Out of State Postdoctoral Scholar Benefits

New Postdocs who live outside of California should enroll in the Health Net PPO plan provided by Gallagher.  Health Net has partnered with a network of doctors that will provide the same coverage as in California. For additional information, see Health Net's summary on out of state access.