General Benefits FAQs

Health Plans and Programs

Q: How are my benefits affected if I go on unpaid leave?

Q: Does the Lab offer commuter benefits savings programs?

Q: How do I know if I am eligible to use the Bright Horizons/Back-up Care Program and how do I register?

Q: Why are my options only for PPO plans and not HMO plans?

Additional Medical Plans FAQs are found on UCNet

Enrollment and Plan Changes

Q:  My employment with the Lab is ending. How do I continue my benefits?

Q: What should I do if I still need to receive the family verification paperwork?

Q: How do I establish a Domestic Partnership for benefits? 

Under current Internal Revenue Service rules, the value of the contribution UC makes toward the cost of medical coverage provided to certain family members who are not your tax dependents may be considered imputed income that will be subject to federal income taxes, FICA (Social Security and Medicare), and any other required payroll taxes.  Sometimes, you may also have imputed income for California state income tax purposes.

Q: How do I add or change my beneficiaries?


Q: How do I enroll in the Retirement plans?

Q: How do I enroll in the Voluntary/ Supplemental retirement plans (403b, 457b, DC after-tax)?

Additional Retirement Plans FAQs are on the UCNet website.

Postdoc Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a Postdoc and have questions about my benefits. Who can I contact?

Q. I’m a Postdoctoral Scholar how do I enroll in my health benefits?

Q: I’m a new Postdoc and I don’t have my ID card.  How can I access medical care?

Q: I’m a Postdoc, how can I submit a claim for reimbursement?

Q: I’m a Postdoc, how can I get help in finding health providers?

Q: I am a Postdoc from another country and I’m not familiar with the US healthcare system.

Q: I am a Postdoc and my appointment with the Lab is ending, how do I continue my benefits?

Misc. Questions

Q: Where should I go if I have questions about my vacation/sick time/holiday pay?

Q: Where do I go to get help with my paycheck?